Gift-able Granola with the Grands!
Want a gift to give to others that the grands can help make? Nana’s irresistible granola is a feel-good, good for you food that can be sprinkled on yogurt or oatmeal, eaten as a cereal or used as a snack all on its own. It is easy to make and is irresistible!
Granola Gift Bags to Go
This granola recipe can be made in bulk and packaged in gift bags to give to family and friends. It’s sure to be a hit! Stamped gift bags will be our next project and can be made while the granola is in the oven. I always make a double recipe because Papa eats it almost every day and it goes especially fast when people come to visit.
Easy to Find Ingredients
There are many granola recipes, but this one uses easy to find ingredients from your local grocery store. The recipe has been adapted from one I found years ago in the More With Less Cookbook.
Measure and Mix
Let the grands help you measure and mix all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
The liquid ingredients are mixed in a separate bowl by hand or with a mixer and are then stirred into the dry ingredients until they are completely moist.
Pop it in the Oven
Spread the granola out onto two jelly roll pans and pop it into the oven. Let it bake for about an hour and 15 minutes, until lightly browned and dry. Stir it about half way through the baking process.
Tip- I leave out the dried fruit and let each person add it to their granola if desired. I often use two cups of slivered almonds instead of 1 cup of chopped nuts and 1 cup of sunflower seeds as I always have the almonds on hand.
Package the Granola
After the granola cools, pack it up in zip lock bags to give away, or place it in a container with an air tight lid. One recipe fits exactly in one of the extra large Tupperware canisters. It also freezes well so we can take it out as papa eats it up!
Let the grands package the granola in gift bags and deliver them together. What fun!
Welcome to Nana’s! Where there’s fun things to do with your “grand” kids!
Come join the fun at www.WelcomeToNanas.com
- 6 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups whole grain flour (wheat or rye)
- 1 cup coconut (I add more, 1½ cup or so)
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use slivered almonds)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup honey (could use white corn syrup)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Mix the first seven dry ingredients together in a very large bowl.
- Mix the last four liquid ingredients together by hand or with a mixer in a separate mixing bow.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spread the granola out on two jelly roll pans.
- Bake at 265 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring at least once half way through.
- Allow to cool.
- Package in air tight containers