Thanksgiving Table Decorations
Setting the table for Thanksgiving can be as simple or as fancy as you wish. Papa’s family often makes little favors for a holiday meal and sets them by each person’s plate. I love the idea, but don’t always get it done. And then came the idea for these easy Thanksgiving or Fall Table Decorations- they are just right!
Miniature Pumpkin Vase or Votive Holders
These cute favors or decorations are simple and the grands can help make them happen. Miniature pumpkins act as a small vase for some fresh or artificial fall flowers, or as a candleholder for a votive candle. You choose – or don’t choose, and make both!
Funky Gourds Too!
When looking for the miniature pumpkins I happened upon some cool and kind of funky miniature gourds. I couldn’t pass them up! I thought we could try a couple of them as well. The variety of shapes and textures are so interesting, but…
Tip- This was a flop. Use the gourds for the centerpiece. They were as hard as rocks! I couldn’t cut the tops off. Oh well, I saved you the trouble!
Cutting the Mini Pumpkins
Cut down into the miniature pumpkin as if you are making a jack-o-lantern and hollow out a place in the center where the flower stems or the votive will be. Some of the mini pumpkins are hard and tough so this may be somethings you will have to do for the grands that are younger.
Tip: I used the votive to trace around in order to make the right sized hole for it to fit through.
Gently pry off the top. It will pop right out.
OK, so don’t laugh at me. I got a kick out of pulling the first top off. They look just like a big pumpkin inside! Seeds and gooey stuff and everything! I guess I’ve never cut into one of these mini pumpkins before. I’m going to save some of the seeds and try growing some next summer.
Scoop out the seeds and goo and have a chuckle at my expense.
To make the pumpkins last longer, spray them with a cleaner that has bleach in it, or dip them down into a weak solution of bleach in water (1/2 tsp to 1/2 gallon water). This will kill bacteria and make them last longer, as mentioned in the Woodland Owl Pumpkin Carving Deluxe post.
Miniature Pumpkin Votives
For the candleholders drop the votive candle into the hole you cut for it and “boom” you’re done! You may need to place something in the bottom of the pumpkin so the votive sits higher. I placed two votives inside, one on top of the other and it was the perfect height.
Miniature Pumpkin Flower Vase
For the flower arrangement, clip the flower stems to about 1 ½ inch long and arrange a small bunch to fit in the hole of the pumpkin. You may want to wrap the stems of real flowers in a piece of wet paper towel to keep some moisture in them. The pumpkin would probably hold water if you wanted to put some inside to keep the flowers fresh as well.
Tip: don’t do this too long before the event as the flowers will not last for days without being in water. Also, small flowers work best! The silk blooms I bought were much too large for the small pumpkin and I had to switch them out for some smaller ones.
Easy As Can Be
These sure are easy Thanksgiving table decorations or favors, aren’t they? But they are so festive and colorful on the table!
Set the Table
If you serve family style (passing the food) and have a sit-down meal, this is a great time to give the grands a quick lesson on how to properly set the table. The pumpkins can be set as favors or simply as decorations. Your “Count Your Blessings” Gratitude Jar and the rest of the gourds and pumpkins would make a great centerpiece.
Happy Thanksgiving Season!
- Miniature pumpkins (# desired for favors or as decorations)
- Real or artificial fall flowers (with small heads)
- Scissors or wire cutters to cut flower stems
- Votive candles
- Cut down into the miniature pumpkin as if you are making a lid for a jack-o-lantern
- Take out the top (you will not use the top)
- Hollow out a place in the center where the flower stems or the votive will be.
Tip: I used the votive to trace around in order to make the right sized hole for it to fit into.
- Spray the pumpkin with a cleaner that has bleach in it to preserve it
- For the candleholders drop the votive candle into the hole you cut for it.
- For the flower arrangement, clip the flower stems to about 1 ½ inch long
- Arrange a small bunch of flowers to fit in the hole of the pumpkin.
- You may want to wrap the stems of real flowers in a piece of wet paper towel or put some
- water inside the pumpkin to keep the real flowers fresh.
- Set the table using the pumpkins as favors or as decorations.
- Your “Count Your Blessings” Gratitude Jar and the rest of the gourds and pumpkins would make a great center piece.
Welcome to Nana’s! Where there’s fun things to do with your “grand” kids!
Come join the fun at www.WelcomeToNanas.com